Questions about Courses

Q. How do I register for a distance education course?
A. You can register online, or by mailing in a printable course registration form to:
Adams State University
Office of Extended Studies
208 Edgemont Blvd., Suite 3000
Alamosa, CO 81101

Please note that we are no longer accepting course registrations over the phone.

Q.  How do I ensure my credits will transfer from Adams State to my home college/university?
A. It is highly recommended the student seek written approval of transfer credit at their home college/university prior to enrolling with Adams State University. It is the decision of the institution accepting transfer credit on whether or not the credit will transfer, how it will transfer, and the grades required for transfer. Most college/universities detail the process to seek approval for transfer and provide forms to facilitate the process. It is the student’s responsibility to seek guidance from their academic advisor at their home institution prior to enrolling at Adams State. It is important to provide as much detailed information as possible to the home institution. For example, grading criteria (letter grades, pass/fail, etc.), calendar system (semester, quarter, etc.), student learning outcomes, course titling, credit hours awarded, etc. Although Adams State University has no control over how the home institution will accept credit, we are committed to provide the student with course descriptions in our institutional catalog found at the following: Course syllabus may be available upon request.

Q. How long will it take for me to complete a distance education course?
A. For open enrollment courses, the maximum time allowed for completion is one year from the date of registration. Semester-based courses must be completed within the semester of registration. If you are receiving federal or private financial aid, requirements may differ. The minimum time for completion of a course varies and can be found on the course syllabus. No exceptions will be made to the course completion time limits.

Q. When will my course materials be sent to me?
A. When you register for a print-based correspondence course, your study guides will be sent to you via US Postal Service 3-5 business days after your registration and course tuition are received. When you register for a web-based online course, an email will be sent to you 3-5 business days after your registration and course tuition are received. The email will contain instructions for accessing your Blackboard course.

Q. Where can I get my textbooks?
A. Textbooks can be purchased from the Adams State University Bookstore. To order textbooks, visit Select “Books” and “Extended Studies” campus. Use the Section Number found in your syllabus to order textbooks.
You may contact the ASU Bookstore at 719-587-7912 or 1603 1st Street, Alamosa, Colorado 81101

Q. When will my exams be sent out?
A.Exams must be requested at least three weeks prior to the date you plan to take them. Exams are sent out approximately 5-7 days prior to the "date to be taken" indicated on the Exam Request form (found in your course study guide).

Q. When will my final grade appear on my transcript?
A.Upon receipt of grade notification from your instructor, grades are posted within 5-7 business days.

Q. How can I request a transcript?
A. Upon completion of your course, a complimentary official transcript will be mailed to you. You may order additional transcripts online at the National Student Clearinghouse. Students who do not have internet access can contact the Records Office toll free at 1.800.824.6494 or by mail at Adams State University, Attention: Records, 208 Edgemont Blvd., Alamosa, CO 81101.

Q. How do I get a free unofficial evaluation?
A. To take advantage of our free unofficial evaluation of your transfer credits, please email copies of your transcripts to: or fax them to: 719-587-7974; Attn: Advisor. Please indicate the degree(s) you are interested in and provide us with your contact information to send the unofficial evaluation results to. The unofficial evaluation is subject to change based on transfer policies during the formal review at the time of admission.

Q. What distance degrees does Adams State University offer?
A. Please refer to our degree plans for information about the available Extended Studies Associate and Bachelor degrees.

Q. How do I apply for admission to a Distance Degree program?
A. You can apply online or by printing and mailing in the completed form found here.

Q. How will I know what classes to take once I am admitted?
A. You will be assigned to a student advisor, who will provide one-on-one support from the time you apply for admission through your graduation. Your advisor will prepare a degree plan that takes into consideration the courses you transfer in and the courses you need to complete. Please refer to our course listing for information about the available Extended Studies courses.

Q. Is Financial Aid available?
A. Once you are admitted into a Distance Degree program at Adams State University, you may be eligible for financial aid. Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid at For specific requirements, contact your student advisor or visit our financial aid website at

Q. What kind of credit does Adams State University accept as transfer credit?
A. The ASU Distance Degree program accepts military credit, credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities, and credit from post-secondary institutions recognized by national, professional and specialized accrediting bodies. Students wishing to seek transfer credit for credits earned at an unaccredited institution must complete a minimum of 24 Adams State University semester hours with a 2.0 cumulative grade-point-average or higher before the credits can be evaluated for transfer.

Q. Is the Distance Degree program accredited?
A. Yes. Adams State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools at 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois, 60604. HLC can be contacted at 800-621-7440, or

Q. How are distance education courses and distance degrees reflected on my transcript and student record?
A. Course credits and degrees earned through the ASU distance education programs are entered on the student record without distinction between on-campus and distance education courses. ASU credits earned in distance education courses are considered to be the same as those earned in on-campus courses for the purpose of meeting residency or other requirements in degree programs of the institution.