Academic Policies

Free Unofficial Evaluation

Prior to your official enrollment in the degree-completion program, the program advisor will do a free preliminary, "unofficial" evaluation of your previous college work if you make the request. In the "unofficial" evaluation we will attempt to show where your previous college credits fit into the ASU degree requirements.

You must request in writing the unofficial evaluation and include copies of your transcripts for review. Also provide your home address, daytime telephone number and e-mail address. For purposes of this review, the transcripts may be unofficial, but must be legible. The transcripts and letter should be sent to:

Extended Studies - Distance Degrees
Adams State University
208 Edgemont Blvd.
Suite 3000
Alamosa, CO 81101

The "unofficial" evaluation is subject to change based on the formal evaluation and acceptance of previous college transfer course work by the Admissions Office and appropriate academic departments. We can not do unofficial evaluations over the telephone.

Official Evaluation of Credit and Admission

After you decide to become a degree-seeking student at ASU, you must provide a completed Admission Application form, the enrollment fee and official transcripts from all colleges previously attended. You may use this Transcript Request form to have your transcripts sent to ASU. The official transcripts, fee and Admission Application should be sent to:

Extended Studies - Distance Degrees
Adams State University
208 Edgemont Blvd.
Suite 3000
Alamosa, CO 81101

Soon after the official transcripts, enrollment fee and Admissions Application are received at ASU, your admission status will be determined.

Within approximately four weeks of admission, you will be provided with a copy of your official transfer evaluation. A copy of this evaluation will be sent to your program advisor.

Using the ASU transfer evaluation as a starting point, the program adviser will complete a new, detailed Degree Student Program Advisement form which will list the requirements satisfied by any transfer work, and will show which areas need to be completed. A copy of the form will be sent to you and a copy will be kept in the file on campus. Along with the Degree Program Advisement Form you will receive Independent study course information and where the courses may be applied in the degree program.

Time Limitation on Credit

Any college credit earned more than 10 years before the date of admission or re-admission is not applicable toward the degree desired unless it is approved by the academic dean of the school where your intended major is located.

Credit for Military Experience


Continuous Enrollment

After you are accepted to ASU, you must enroll in at least one ASU course each year (fall/spring or spring/fall) to maintain your current status. Students who interrupt their studies for more than one regular semester must satisfy the degree requirements in effect during the semester in which they re-enroll. Failure to enroll in at least one new ASU course each year will result in the following:

  1. You will be required to apply with Adams State University and pay the enrollment fee current at the time of re-enrollment.
  2. You will be subject to changes in the curriculum which could lead to the requirement for completing additional courses, while some of the courses originally accepted may no longer count toward degree completion.
  3. Your petitioned work will have to be re-petitioned and courses may not be accepted the second time, due to curriculum changes and/or faculty changes.

Courses Not Offered Through ASU

To meet program requirements for courses not offered by ASU, you are advised to submit course descriptions from other college institutions for review by the Admissions Office and the program adviser prior to enrolling in a non-ASU course. For future reference and to speed up the process, you may request at one time that a number of courses be considered for approval. After completing a course (or courses) at another school, you are advised to send in transcripts of completed work at the end of every semester to have your records updated. Regular correspondence with your adviser is recommended.

Admission and Distance Degree Completion Program Fee

At the time of your formal application to ASU, you will be expected to pay a (non-refundable) Admission and Distance Degree Completion Program fee (see fee schedule above). If you become inactive for one year (not enrolling in at least one ASU independent study course), you will be required to re-enroll and pay the fee current at the time of re-enrollment.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and any course fees are listed in the course schedule or on the ASU Extended Studies web site, Tuition and fees are subject to change without notification.

Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid is available to eligible students for the ASU distance degree program. To apply students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available in all college financial aid offices, from high school guidance counselors, or from For questions concerning financial aid at ASU, please contact: Mr. Phil Schroeder, Director of Financial Aid, Adams State University, 208 Edgemont Blvd., Alamosa, CO 81101, phone 1-719-587-7306.

Company-sponsored tuition and military tuition assistance programs may be used for ASU courses. We also encourage students to seek scholarship aid from local civic groups that may sponsor such study. ASU courses are approved for the DANTES program. Eligible military personnel should process DANTES applications through their education office.

Students receiving Federal Financial Aid, military tuition assistance, company sponsored tuition assistance, or any other type of private funding may be required to complete independent study courses in less than one year. Please check with your funding source for specific requirements.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) (either General or Subject Exams), ASU Credit by Examination - "Testing Out" of an ASU Course, or Credit for Prior Learning


Awarding of Degrees

Degrees are awarded at the end of the semester in which final courses are completed. An Application for Graduation must be submitted to the office of the school dean in which the student's major is housed. The application must be completed within the first month of the semester prior to anticipated graduation. All necessary paperwork must be on file in the Records Office before the student will be approved for graduation.

Graduation ceremonies are held the end of fall and spring semester. Students who complete degree requirements may participate in commencement. Information sheets giving details about graduation exercises, fees for caps, gowns, and announcements will be mailed approximately one month prior to commencement.

Extended Studies Student Complaints

Occasionally, students may find the need to seek resolution to an issue or problem they are experiencing with their program of study. Extended Studies takes these issues and concerns seriously, and works to resolve grievances, complaints, and concerns in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner. Students wishing to seek resolution to an issue in their course of study, should first review the syllabus for the course and communicate their concern to the instructor. If students feel the need to seek alternative resolution to the issue from the Extended Studies Office, they will be directed to the appropriate Extended Studies staff member for resolution based on the following list:

Undergraduate Programs:

  • Independent Study Correspondence and Online Courses - Tracey Greeman, Operations Manager for Distance Learning
  • Textbooks - Tracey Greeman, Operations Manager for Distance Learning
  • Advising, Recruitment and Financial Aid - Tracey Greeman, Operations Manager for Distance Learning
  • Billing and Payment - Judy Phillips, Assistant Vice President for Extended Studies- Operations

Graduate Programs:

  • MA in Education Recruiting, Advising, Courses and Financial Aid - Kateri Reeves, Program Manager
  • Correspondence MBA Courses - Tracey Greeman, Operations Manager for Distance Learning
  • Correspondence MBA Recruiting and Advising - Jim Bullington, Prison Program Coordinator/Advisor 
  • Professional Development - Renae Haslett, Director of Special Projects
  • Billing and Payment - Judy Phillips, Assistant Vice President for Extended Studies- Operations

If resolution cannot be made at this level, the student will be required to submit a written complaint to Office of Extended Studies- Student Complaint, either by email to or faxed to 719-587-7974. Disagreement with an administrative decision, or the outcome of an appeal of that decision, is not a complaint unless it alleges improper, unfair, or arbitrary treatment. Below are the detailed requirements of the letter of complaint and supporting documents:

  1. Letter of Complaint: Addressed to the Associate Vice President for Extended Studies-Academics, which states the outcome you seek and outlines the circumstances of your complaint. The letter should be thorough with explicit details including specific dates and times.
  2. Supporting Documents: In addition to the letter of complaint the student must provide supporting documentation to support their complaint. Examples include copies of correspondence between the student and instructor or ASU staff, completed forms submitted to an ASU office by the student, etc.

The complaint shall be reviewed by the Associate Vice President for Extended Studies for final review. The Associate Vice President for Extended Studies will provide a written response indicating any action taken to resolve the student issue.

If the student complaint is not resolved at the Associate Vice President for Extended Studies level, the written complaint will then be forwarded to the Office of Student Services and will follow the procedure outlined in the ASU Student handbook. The Vice President of Student Services will then review the documentation and seek resolution of the student complaint. The Vice President of Student Services' decision is final and irrevocable and cannot be appealed at the institutional level. All complaints must be reviewed through documented institutional policy and procedures prior to being referred to the State level. If a complaint cannot be resolved by Adams State University’s internal processes, the student may choose to file a complaint with their state of residence.

Academic Grade Appeals

If a student believes the final grade in the course does not fairly reflect his or her performance, the student must follow the:

Initially the student should meet with the instructor in an attempt to resolve the concern. If this consultation does not resolve the issue, the student should request a meeting with the department chair and the faculty member. In the event the disagreement is not resolved at either of these two levels of appeal, a final appeal may be made to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Vice President for Academic Affairs may request appropriate written materials from the instructor and also request the student explain reasons for the appeal in writing. The Vice President for Academic Affairs decision is the final and irrevocable step for an internal institutional appeal. Only the relevant faculty member, or the Vice President for Academic Affairs in extraordinary circumstances (such as the death/departure of the original faculty member/instructor) may alter the original grade awarded. Appeals not in process prior to the mid-term of the following semester shall have no standing and the grade awarded shall remain in effect. For off-campus Extended Studies students a written appeal by email may be used in place of meeting with faculty, department chair, and/or Vice President for Academic Affairs.