The ASU Print Shop works with faculty, staff and students to make sure publications are professionally produced to ASU standards.
To get started with your project, review the publication process below for a sense of what's involved, then contact us for assistance with planning, design, and production.
Before you meet with University Public Relations and Marketing staff to discuss your latest print project, consider the following questions:
- Is the publication a stand-alone piece or is it part of a larger effort that involves media relations or the web?
- Who is your audience?
- What do you want your publication to accomplish?
- How does the publication support your overall communication plan and the long-term goals of your unit?
- What action(s) do you want your audience to take after reading the publication?
- Will the publication include photographs and are they already taken?
- Should the publication be a particular size or shape? For example, should it fit into a business envelope?
- What are your plans for distributing the publication? How many copies do you need?
- When do you need the finished publication?
- What is the budget for the publication?
When you have the answers to these questions, contact us at (719) 587-7841 and we'll help you determine the best way to produce your publication:
- Many projects can be managed in-house by ASU's Print Shop, in which case we'll help refine and design your piece, determine which printer is best suited for your project and budget (includes getting quotes for various quantities), and establish a production schedule. An average Quick Print will take two to three days.
- For some projects we may recommend reliable external vendors for production. An average publication takes two to three weeks to produce.
- You will be provided a proof (either hard copy or pdf). You must approve the proof and costs, plus provide a budget code for billing, before printing begins. Planning ahead ensures that you will have what you want, when you need it.
*The most important thing you can do to keep your project on schedule is to make sure your text is refined and approved by everyone who needs to review it before you send it to us for production.
We prefer that you submit high-resolution (300 dpi) color digital files of the photos for your publication. We can use black and white or color prints. We have access to a wide variety of stock photos.
Do you need photos?
Photo shoots should be arranged well in advance of your publication date.
Cost and Billing
Graphic design services are provided at no cost. Print prices vary by the type of job and quantities to be printed. An estimate will be provided before printing begins.
Your publications can be delivered directly to your office or you can pick them up from the Print Shop. You are responsible for storing your publications.
Proofread and Approve
You are responsible for proofreading and approving the proofs. Extensive changes made at this point in the process can delay the project and may add to the cost.
- We stock a variety of papers/envelopes and can custom order paper for a specific job.
- Design and design consulting are available at no charge. Contact us to schedule an appointment with our graphic designer.
- Quick Printing services include color or black and white, one or two sided (collating available), sizes up to 12x18.
- Bindery services include folding, stapling, 3 hole punch, spiral binding, padding, numbering, and lamination.
- We produce business cards, letterhead, note pads, promotional buttons, fliers, rack cards, event posters, brochures, advertising, and much more.
- Graphic Standards support is available. We can provide paper or electronic templates and logos.